Pages

Ads 468x60px

Saturday 5 September 2015

How 'Batman's butler' Michael Caine almost got in trouble with the queen

Michael Caine in France (Wireimage)
Michael Caine in France (Wireimage)
Michael Caine is one of the quickest wits in films, and his cheeky mouth almost got him in hot water with the Queen of England.
The 82-year-old Caine told a story at the Cannes Film Festival Wednesday about his knighthood with Queen Elizabeth II in 2000.
Said Caine:
“She knighted me once. And I nearly got into trouble. She didn’t say much. She sorta of put the sword on me. But she said, ‘I have a feeling you have been doing what you do for a very long time.’ And I almost said, ‘And so have you.’ “
Caine with head intact and knighthood in 2000 (AFP)
Caine with head intact and knighthood in 2000 (AFP)
Fortunately, Caine held his tongue.
“I said, ‘Michael keep your mouth shut, you’re about to lose your knighthood or be taken to The Tower and beheaded.'”
Caine added that the queen actually has a sense of humor.
“I was at a party with her once. And there was a very dull man on the other side of her. She turned to me and said, ‘Mr. Caine, do you know any jokes?’ I said, ‘None I can tell you.’ She said, ‘While you are thinking of one, I’ll tell you one.’ So she told me a joke. The most annoying thing is I cannot remember what the joke was.”
Actors Michael Caine, right, and Harvey Keitel pose are in Cannes for "Youth" (AP)
Actors Michael Caine, right, and Harvey Keitel are in Cannes for “Youth” (AP)
Caine was a vibrant force at the festival with the film Youth.
But he said he enjoys that 12-year-old kids come up to him now, recognizing him as “Batman’s Butler” Alfred in the Dark Knight series.
Bruce Wayne and Alfred from "The Dark Knight" (WB).
Bruce Wayne and Alfred from “The Dark Knight” (WB).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates